River of Light



Video: River of Light

Click READ MORE to launch the video.
March 18, 2019
River of Light: Church of Spiritual Light

I was at the Church of Spiritual Light in Fort Myers, Florida for their twice-monthly crystal bowls/Reiki meditation. I made myself comfortable in the chaise lounge by adding another pillow and blanket. As I settled in, the messages began.
I found myself in a deeply wooded forest. I was standing at a fork in the road, and I knew I needed to make the decision on which way to go. I felt like I was in Robert Frost’s poem, The Road Not Taken, and I had to make a choice.

Which is your path?

As that question reverberated in my mind, I looked around. I wanted to remember the details of this vision; it felt so real. I smelled the musty scent of pine trees. As I walked the path that had beckoned me, the dry leaves that crunched beneath my bare feet changed to a soft, compact cushion of moss. As I raised my hand to brush my wind-blown hair away from my face, I heard the distant sound of a babbling brook. It must be a cue for me to walk in that direction.
I left the path and followed an even subtler one. But I was guided to take this path, too, wasn’t I? As I topped a small hill, I saw the beautiful, crystal clear stream that had called me. Its spring waters gurgled and splashed over a rocky bed that I could clearly see, even from my distance. When I reached the spring, I lifted a couple of these smooth rocks. I immediately knew that the rivers of time had changed these once-rough rocks to their now-smooth texture. 
Was this an analogy for me: following the right path will smooth out my rough edges? Will it make me become one with the divine path? 
As these thoughts entered my mind, I found myself melding with the babbling spring of divine waters. I felt like a leaf floating atop the water, allowing the current to take me where ever it was going, but I wasn’t a leaf, I wasn’t anything: I had become the water.

Come, come. Allow. Rest your weary bones in these deep, relaxing waters. Let it replenish your soul. Allow divine Grace to flow through your cells. Allow these waters to lead you through the path of righteousness. 

I was in a state of allowing, and I agreed for these divine waters to lead me down this unknown yet somehow familiar path. I was literally “going with the flow.”
I looked around and saw nothing but nature. I heard birds fluttering overhead, their melodious sounds permeated the air. A deer approached the waters and drank from it, replenishing its body. This was nature at its purest—no human nearby to break the stillness of the moment.
As the stream flowed through the woods, other bodies of water joined it, and soon it became a small river. I remained part of it, moving ever so swiftly to its unknown destination. And although the swift waters rushed toward places unknown to me, I trusted. I felt at home. I felt at peace. As the waters rushed faster, and I heard the words, “River of Light.”
As those words entered my mind, the river rose into the sky. As it entered the cosmos, I had a glimpse of a large brown bear and heard the words “Ursa Major.” I also saw a horse, but it was more than that: I had becomethe horse. I was set free, flying throughout the cosmos. I had become one with the stars. I becamethe light, and I was free from my physical body that had bound me to Earth plane existence. I was everything.
The meditation ended, and I couldn’t help but recall how it had begun with Robert Frost’s poem about the road not taken. I, too, had taken the one less traveled, and that has made all the difference. 
For the longest time, I had been reluctant to share my spiritual experiences; that was definitely a less-traveled road, a path that many were uncomfortable reading about, much less experiencing. Like the poem, choosing this path has made a significant difference in my life.
PublishingThe Reluctant Messenger took courage, but that courage is paying off. Each week, I receive emails from readers who tell me how the book has touched them in some way or another. Others have told me how the reading the book has somehow improved their meditations. Some have found comfort in knowing that the dreams and messages they received from departed loved ones are truly that—messages, not wishful thinking. 
So, I am happy that I did take that road less traveled for it has helped to guide others on this same path. 

***

Several days had passed since the meditation. I sat at my computer to type my hand-written journal notes. As I finished the transcription, I decided to do a bit of research. I typed Ursa Major in the search engine. It was the name of a constellation, but that’s all I knew. I was curious to learn more. As with many of the stories in The Reluctant Messenger, my post-message research often confirmed the storyline in unpredictably meaningful ways. This research was no exception.
I could only smile when I learned that Ursa Major is commonly known as the Great Bear or the Big Bear. Although new information for me, I was not surprised; after all, I had seen a large bear as I took off into the cosmos on the River of Light. 
I continued reading and learned that the brightest stars from the Great Bear make up the bowl of the Big Dipper. That made the Big Dipper an asterism: a pattern of stars within a constellation. 
The Big Dipper: the only constellation I can readily recognize in the night sky. As I thought about that, I realized I had “dipped” into the River of Light, and I had returned home to the stars as this divine waterway spilled forth into the cosmos. Had the River of Light stemmed from the Big Dipper, and now it was returning? I had no idea, but I found this information fascinating, nonetheless. 
 These findings piqued my interest about the horse. A little further research revealed that one of the corners of the dipper’s bowl is in direct alignment with an almost perfect four-star square: the Great Square of Pegasus, the winged horse from Greek mythology.
All of this made sense, and I continued to search. In this website from the University of Central Florida,  https://www.ucf.edu/pegasus/pegasus-constellation/, I learned that the word Pegasus is thought to be related to two Greek words: pegai and pegazo. Pegai means a spring and pegazo means spring forth. Both fit.
In mythology, Pegasus caused springs to flow as he struck the earth with his hooves. The Great Square of Pegasus serves as a guide to the evening sky. Not only is the Great Square aligned with the Big Dipper, it is also used like the Big Dipper to find other astronomical wonders including the Andromeda Galaxy, the nearest major galaxy to our own Milky Way. Also, like the Big Dipper, the Great Square of Pegasus an asterism: a pattern of stars inside an existing constellation.
I could only shake my head in disbelief as my research fit perfectly with the elements of the meditation. This is something that I love about meditation and the spirit world: When you least expect it, the experiences you have coincide with the information that might be unknown to you while it occurred. My take-away from this meditation: Learning to let go, go with the flow, and trust what you receive are big steps to take in the spiritual process. But by doing so, you can further your path on this journey called life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

String Theory and Consciousness

Wrong Side of the Bed